JUST IN: 56-unit Ames apartment building evacuated due to carbon monoxide

Around 50 residents were evacuated from an Ames apartment building Sunday after an individual fell ill after entering the complex.

According to an Ames Fire Department press release, first responders were called to 4730 Mortensen Road, Building #118, at approximately 1:18 p.m. Sunday on a carbon monoxide report. The individual who made the report stated that a carbon monoxide alarm in their unit was sounding upon their arrival. The occupant reportedly became ill while investigating the alarm.

First responders arrived at the complex and found “high [carbon monoxide] levels in the apartment unit and throughout the building”, according to the release. Crews subsequently activated the building’s fire alarm system and went door-to-door in order to evacuate the complex, temporarily displacing approximately 50 residents.

The cause of the carbon monoxide was reportedly a broken vent pipe from a boiler in the building.

The occupant who became ill was evaluated by paramedics at the scene but was not transported to a hospital. No other injuries were reported.

The building was later “turned over to maintenance”, with all occupants safely returning to their units, per the release.

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *