Ames firefighters extinguish second apartment blaze in three days

The Ames Fire Department has responded to two different apartment fires this week, the latest occurring Wednesday morning at a building near downtown.

According to a press release, responders arrived at 716 Burnett Avenue in Ames just before 8:00 a.m. Wednesday to find occupants fleeing from the building. Smoke could be seen exiting one of the units.  

The fire reportedly started in and was contained to the kitchen in Unit 2. The occupant of the resident, who was home when the incident occurred, utilized an extinguisher to keep the fire at bay while waiting for firefighters to arrive.

The released stated that the blaze was completely extinguished once firefighters entered the apartment, and an effort was then made to ventilate the area.

Ames Deputy Fire Chief Karen Tapper told StoryCounty.News that the incident, which was quickly deemed accidental, was due to a cooking mishap. Damages are thought be around $2,500.

No injuries were reported. One resident at the building was evaluated for smoke inhalation by paramedics but did not require hospitalization. Smoke detectors inside the building are being credited for alerting the occupants in each residence, as everyone who was inside the building at the time of the fire evacuated on their own.

Although no occupants are said to have been displaced, the Red Cross was reportedly notified to work with any tenants needing additional assistance.

The fire comes less than 36 hours after another blaze was extinguished by responders at an apartment in west Ames.

The Ames Fire Department is reminding citizens of the importance of having both a readily available fire extinguisher on hand and working smoke detectors in place. Most importantly, each home should have a fire response place in place that prioritizes escape.

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *