South Ames house fire causes estimated $100,000 in damage

An Ames family’s home caught fire Thursday morning due to a reported furnace malfunction, leading to thousands of dollars in total estimated damage.

According to an Ames Fire Department press release, firefighters responded to 305 Topaz Court at 10:43 a.m. Thursday on a call of flames and smoke bellowing from the downstairs furnace. When crews arrived on scene, smoke could be seen rising from the top of the house.

Topaz Court is located in south Ames, as pictured above. (See red outline.) (Photo: Google Maps)

The release stated that all three stations in Ames deployed responders to the blaze. Crews were able to confirm the safety of all who had been inside the structure and then attacked the fire at its source.

Eventually, firefighters were successful in ousting the flames. According to the release, the fire had “extended into some of the floor joists and walls of the home.” The basement suffered serious heat and fire damage, and the upper levels of the home also sustained extensive smoke damage. Ames Fire estimates the structure’s total damage at $100,000.

Ames firefighters are seen fighting a Thursday blaze that started after a furnace malfunction. (Photo: Ames Fire Department)

According to Ames History Museum, Thursday also happens to be the 108-year anniversary of Iowa State University’s infamous and destructive Chemistry Hall fire, which burned down the historical building.

The Ames Fire Department wants to remind all citizens of Ames to check their home’s smoke detectors each month to ensure an early warning in case of a fire.

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *